Chinese Government Takes Unprecedented Move In Quarantining 10 Cities In Wake Of Deadly Virus Outbreak

(Tea Party 247) – The outbreak of the coronavirus in China has gone from seeing one city, Wuhan, quarantined to a total of 10. According to the Chinese Health Commission, as of Friday there are 830 confirmed cases of the fast-spreading virus and 25 people have died.

In the wake of the virus popping up in several other countries, the Chinese government was forced to take the unprecedented step of quarantining multiple cities affecting a total of around 33 million people.

Infowars reports:

In China, at least 10 cities, and at least 33 million people, have been put on lockdown — Wuhan, Huanggang, Ezhou, Chibi, Qianjiang, Zhijiang; Jingmen, Xiantao, Xiaogan and Huangshi — all in central China’s Hubei province, on the eve of the Lunar New Year, when millions of Chinese traditionally travel.

Shanghai Disney Resort announced on its website that it is temporarily closing Shanghai Disneyland, a major tourist attraction during Lunar New Year, “in response to the prevention and control of the disease outbreak and in order to ensure the health and safety” of guests and cast.

The municipality authorities of Wuhan, where the coronavirus is believed to have originated, said Friday that the city is building a new 1,000-bed hospital, expected to be completed by Feb. 3.

On Thursday authorities first banned planes and trains from leaving the city of Wuhan, where the coronavirus is believed to have originated. Toll roads were closed, and ferry, subway and bus services were suspended.

Wuhan authorities have demanded that all residents wear masks in public and urged government and private sector employees to wear them in the workplace, according to the Xinhua news agency, which cited a government official.

Similar measures were taken hours later in the nearby cities of Huanggang and Ezhou.

The government also canceled holiday events in Beijing that usually attract large crowds.

Fifteen medical workers are among those who have been infected by the virus, which has spread from Wuhan to Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong province, as well as Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan and the United States.

While this is amounting to a health crisis in China it has not yet reached a worldwide health emergency, according to the World Health Organization. This decision was reached after it consulted with independent experts who spent two days assessing information concerning the spread of the virus.

“This is an emergency in China, but it has not yet become a global health emergency,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said after attending a two-day emergency meeting in Geneva.

The virus, as previously mentioned, has made an appearance in the US, in Washington state. Health officials there announced that a man who just recently returned to Seattle from Wuhan has been hospitalized but is in good condition with pneumonia.

President Trump assured the American people that all is well during a press conference in Davos, Switzerland, Wednesday. Trump said US officials “have a plan” for dealing with the new virus should an outbreak occur and praised experts at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Airports around the world have started screening travelers from Wuhan for any signs of the illness.

Featured image credit: Kyle Simourd – flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3633427021

Ad Blocker Detected!

Advertisements fund this website. Please disable your adblocking software or whitelist our website.
Thank You!