Beto O’Rourke Admits He’s Planning a Gun Grab
One of the cardinal rules of gun control in the US is “don’t admit you plan to take away everyone’s guns.” It seems like somebody forgot to tell Democrat presidential hopeful Beto O’Rourke this, though, because he’s just admitted that this is exactly what he plans to do. Obviously, O’Rourke figures this is a vote winner. Time will tell if he’s right — but honestly, it’s not looking good.
Beto O’Rourke has been taking a harder line on gun control recently, and just in case anyone had any doubts that he plans to tear up the Second Amendment, he made his position totally clear with a tweet on Monday.
I was asked how I'd address people's fears that we will take away their assault rifles.
I want to be clear: That's exactly what we're going to do. Americans who own AR-15s and AK-47s will have to sell their assault weapons. All of them. pic.twitter.com/YbnSsz3bVy
— Beto O'Rourke (@BetoORourke) September 2, 2019
- It’s clear that O’Rourke, like most gun control fanatics, either isn’t aware that assault rifles have been banned since 1986 or is being dishonest to stir up alarm, but his references to AR-15s (which aren’t assault rifles, by the way) and AK47s (which are assault rifles and are covered by President Reagan’s 1986 ban) make it clear what he means — he wants to ban semiautomatic rifles.
- This isn’t the first time O’Rourke has proposed draconian new gun bans since mid-August. He’s also called for bans on trigger cranks (useless toys), bump stocks (useless toys, and already banned), “silencers” (already regulated by the National Firearms Act) and “high-capacity magazines.”
- It’s clear that this is just the thin end of the wedge, though. O’Rourke is demanding a mandatory buyback program for so-called “assault weapons,” a meaningless term based on cosmetic features of a gun. Any owner who didn’t surrender their weapon would be fined.
- When this doesn’t magically end crime, it’s almost certain O’Rourke would then extend it to all other semi-automatic rifles. Weapons like the Ruger Mini-14 aren’t classed as “assault weapons” because they don’t look scary to Democrats — but they’re just as powerful, fire just as fast and take the same capacity magazines as an AR-15. They’ll be next.
- As evidence of his ambitions, O’Rourke is already proposing to leapfrog past semi-automatic rifles and bring in a voluntary buyback program for handguns — the weapons used in nearly all real-world gun crime. How long will it stay voluntary? Only Beto O’Rourke knows right now, but most American gun owners won’t want to give him a chance to show us. There might not be as many votes in gun-grabbing as he thinks there are.
What do you think of O’Rourke’s plan to confiscate “assault weapons?” Let us know in the comments.
Copyright 2019, RightWing.org